Help | Our Partners |
Home > Blog > business
  • China Updates their VISA Policy Part 2

    Post by : expatree


For the second part of this blog, Expatree is going to introduce to you the new China VISA Regulations that will be implemented. Most of these changes are directed at VISA applications from outside China as well as extensions of VISAS. Below are the changes and new regulations to be implemented:

There are new types of VISAS available bringing it to the total of 16 new options. Please refer to a an official government website for more information on the requirements. 

- When you apply for the Z Visa in Hong Kong, you do not have to go through a medical examination before hand as in previous years. However, you do need to have a residence contract or registration form to prove your living area.

- When applying for the residence permit in Shanghai, it now takes 7 working days instead of the longer 15 days.

- When family members apply for the family Residence permit in Shanghai they need it to be notarized by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate outside of China.

- When a living partner (not married) applies for the family residence permit in Shanghai, they must be registered as living together in their home country and the registration certificate must be notarized in the Chinese Embassy/Consulate outside.

All visa applicants are required to use the new Form beginning September 1, 2013.

The M VISA is not replacing the F type.

When you extend your tourist L visa in Shanghai, chances are high that an immigration officer might request you to provide an original certificate of bank deposit (1 day = 100USD deposit, so if you want to extend it maximum 30 days, then you have to show 3,000 USD or an equivalent of 19,500 RMB deposit in the bank certificate).

And the newest addition is that if you have a working residence permit in Shanghai, you can reference your parents to have an equal length residence permit.

1st of July: the new Chinese immigration laws take effect. Therefore, there will be a lot of changes and adjustments for the China visa application/extension rules. Below are some changes for the Chinese visa extensions in Shanghai:

For L or M visa extension, you need to wait for only 7 working days.
For Residence permit application, now it only takes 15 working days
Online application in Shanghai were suspended, all the applications must go through the immigration officer in person.
The immigration office requests you to process your visa at least 1 week before it expires, the earlier the better. Don't wait until the last 1-2 days.
Tourist L visa can only be extended 1 time, maximum 30 days. (before it used to be twice in 30 days)

If you register too late (over 24 hrs) in the police station to get the registration form of temporary residence, they can charge you a maximum of 2,000RMB for the penalty (before it was 500RMB)

If you over stay your visa, they can charge you 500RMB/day maximum up to 10,000RMB (before it was maximum up to 5,000RMB)

Business M visa extension: Only the company who invites you to Shanghai (which sent you the official invitation letter for you to apply for M visa in the Chinese Embassy in your country) can support you to extend you VISA within Shanghai.

If your wife/husband is Taiwanese or HKese, before you could only get a 1 year family residence permit, but now only can apply for a 3 month visit family L visa.

Employee's working residence permit must be valid for over 6 months, then employee's family member can apply for the family residence permit with the same period of employee's visa. Otherwise, family members can only get a 3 month visit family L visa.

For a living partner, you can apply for 3 month 0 entry visit family L visa.

2nd May 2013: Shanghai labor bureau tightened the employment permit/visa policy, now for a company to hire a new foreign employee it takes 10-15 working days to know the result (approved or denied), before it used to only takes 5 working days. 

1st January 2013, No visa is required for foreigners who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airlines flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours and do not leave the airport.

Passport holders of following 45 countries and regions will be granted a visa-free stay of up to 72 hours while in transit via Beijing Capital Airport (PEK) and Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) & Hongqiao International Airport (SHA): 

Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States.

Restrictions of the 72-hour Visa-free Transit:
1. This regulation does not apply to passengers who travel on a single return flight (e.g., Hong Kong – Shanghai - Hong Kong), which means the destination and place of departure cannot be the same. 

2. The 72-hour visa-free stay only applies to transit via Capital International Airport. Passengers by train or any other vehicles should still apply for a visa in advance.

3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Shanghai from Capital International Airport.

4. If visitors are unable to depart on time due to unavoidable reasons, such as flight cancellation or treatment of sudden disease, they need to apply for a visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB). Otherwise, tourists cannot apply for an extension of stay in Shanghai.

Date:2015-07-17 20:04:16
Add a Comment


  • 178 items
  • 1696 events
  • 177 blogs
Share with your friends